On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 2:21 AM, Harald Schilly
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Aug 21, 7:18 am, Tim Lahey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> 2. Like M. Hampton, I miss implicit variables. ...
>
> One thing I came across is, that symbolic expressions with predefined
> variables (i.e. they are not variables) confuse someone when used in
> functions.
> for example
> x = 5
> solve([x^2==3], x)
> then solve does nothing. I think, because there is an explicit x, it
> would be nice to have at least a warning message telling the user that
> x is not a symbolic variable, but already assigned.

This is an extremely good idea and trivial to implement, so I've made it:

By "missing implicit variables", does Tim mean that he really doesn't
like having to type var('x') and just wants x to be magically defined
to be symbolic the first time it is used?

William