On 22/08/2008, at 11:10 AM, Ondrej Certik wrote:

> what are the chances that maxima could be made fast, so that people
> intuitively feel it's as fast as mathematica for the problems they
> solve

It may already have been said, but a large part of the reason it feels
slow is that AFAICT maxima is not loaded until first use.

f.derivative(x) took yonks on my powerbook the very first time I did
it, and that's the time that mattered because that was the time I was
trying it out.  (The benchmark for "yonks" is "long enough to wonder
whether sage had crashed.")

I very much doubt it's related to benchmarkable speed on large
calculations.  I have no intuition for how long a computer should take
to perform a large symbolic calculation, even on systems I know
extremely well.

Is anyone cynical enough to make sage 'snappy'?