On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 9:48 PM, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Jason Merrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Brian Hayes writes a regular column for American Scientist called
>> Computing Science.  In his latest article, "Calculemus!"
>> http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/2008/5/calculemus/1, Hayes
>> suggests that widely available tools for doing simple calculations and
>> mathematical experiments have not kept up with progress in software
>> technology.
>>
>> On the last page of the article, he mentions Python and Sage as a
>> possible way forward.  He is somewhat critical, "The principal
>> developers are putting most of their energy into creating a research
>> tool for advanced mathematics, which can leave the skittish beginner
>> without a safe point of entry," but thinks the notebook interface "is
>> surely the way of the future."
>>
>> The whole article is an interesting read.
>
> Here's what he says:
>
> " A project called Sage claims as its mission, "Creating a viable free
> open source alternative to Magma, Maple, Mathematica and Matlab." Sage
> was initiated by William Stein of the University of Washington, and it
> now has hundreds of contributors. Sage is certainly not the
> self-contained, cohesive package that I argue for; on the contrary,
> it's a loose confederation of dozens of more specialized programs,
> such as GAP for group theory and R for statistics. All of the pieces
> are stitched together with Python code, which is also supposed to
> provide a consistent user interface. It works better than I would have
> guessed, but it's hardly seamless. The principal developers are
> putting most of their energy into creating a research tool for
> advanced mathematics, which can leave the skittish beginner without a
> safe point of entry."
>
> I think he based that mostly on an hour long conversation
> that he had with me and Tom Boothby at the AMS meeting
> in San Diego last January.
>
> I very strongly disagree with his conclusions about what
> Sage is, to put it mildly.

Indeed. It was fun for me to read. He first states what he wants, e.g.:

"
It should be self-contained, easily installed (and uninstalled),
well-documented, internally consistent, bug-free and foolproof.
"

and other things, like:
"
I want a system that's mathematically well-behaved. I should not have
to live in a world where the integers end at 4,294,967,295 or where
1/3×3 is equal to something other than 1. Give me unlimited precision
and exact arithmetic, at least for rational numbers.
"

and I said to myself -- hey, that's exactly Sage.

And then on the next page he says Sage isn't the thing. :) So I don't
know what he wants.

Ondrej