> It should be self-contained, easily installed (and uninstalled),

I totally agree with this. For example, sage --upgrade (or whatever
the correct command is) has never worked for me (on Ubuntu 8.04), and
I am really looking for the day when I will do "apt-get install sage",
which is number 1 on my wish-list. I believe this will win sage a lot
of casual users or people like me who don't usually compute, but who
sometimes like to install a program and play with it.

Bhalchandra Thatte
thatte at stats dot oxford dot ac dot uk