On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 11:45 PM, iSAGE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> It should be self-contained, easily installed (and uninstalled),

Sage is self contained, more than any very nontrivial open source math
software I know of.  Sage is easily installed, and uninstalled, since it
is self contained.

> I totally agree with this. For example, sage --upgrade (or whatever
> the correct command is) has never worked for me (on Ubuntu 8.04), and

Sage is not easily upgraded, but that's perhaps not part of "self-contained,
easily installed (and uninstalled)".

The command is "sage -upgrade".   That command should be changed to
"sage -expert_upgrade", since it absolutely is not designed for casual
users like you.  I wrote it specifically for developers who needed to
synchronize quickly with the latest version of sage, and who
understand compilers, Sage's revision control systems, etc.  I've
posted a trac ticket to change the name:

> I am really looking for the day when I will do "apt-get install sage",
> which is number 1 on my wish-list.

That day should be very soon, I hope.  (Tim Abbott -- any updates on the
status of this?)

 -- William