On Sun, 24 Aug 2008, William Stein wrote:

>> I am really looking for the day when I will do "apt-get install sage",
>> which is number 1 on my wish-list.
>
> That day should be very soon, I hope.  (Tim Abbott -- any updates on the
> status of this?)

All the dependencies are now in Debian, but the sagemath package itself is
still awaiting review (and has been for several weeks).  Since there's so
much new code in Sage, this is not particularly surprising.

My expectation is it will not be available in the Lenny release
repositories, but I will try to get it into the "official" backports
repository once sagemath it enters Debian unstable.  Ubuntu Intrepid is
scheduled to release a bit later than Lenny, and so depending when
sagemath escapes review, I may be able to get it into Intrepid (it looks
like their freeze starts on August 28, so this would require the Debian
folks reviewing sagemath in the next couple days).

        -Tim Abbott