Thanks Vincent for the information.  One reason I am choosing not to
use povray is the license, which I believe is not compatible with
inclusion in Sage.

Btw, the tachyon raytracer does seem to have good multicore support dy
default.  Unfortunately it cannot animate.  I wish we had someone who
could add that ability - to be clear, I think we need good movie
format in terms of compression and multiplatform support.  Animating
GIFs is well supported but too clunky for longer animations.

Cheers,
M. Hampton