On 06/09/2008, at 3:27 AM, mabshoff wrote:

> The Framework build of Sage

Do we have a framework build of sage?  We have an unsupported
framework build of python, and R can be built as a framework, but
turning sage itself into a framework would be a kind of huge job.  I
doubt it would be very useful.

>  is not supported and the more I learn
> about FrameWorks the less I want to go in that direction.

For python, I would like to keep it open as an unsupported option for
the time being.

> Using
> certain FrameWorks forces the use of Apple's libpng for example which
> screws us in loads of places. I have disabled the use of all OSX
> Frameworks in Sage 3.1.2 for all components in Sage for exactly that
> reason.

Can you explain more?  As I understand the situation it is:

I (and maybe others) had some problems with R finding Apple's libpng
via some library in /sw.  You said some unflattering things about the
easy of modifying R's build process... in any case, my conclusion was
that there is no reason to build R as a framework within Sage, at
least unless someone wants it, and no particular reason to maintain
fink compatibility.  If R users wanted to use the GUI or framework,
they would already have their own install anyway.

But I'd like to know if that goes for python too.  (If so it is new to
me.)

I'm all in favour of avoiding linking to any OS X system libraries for
the forseeable future (except I suppose for the most basic ones).
(And maybe things like libBLAS.dylib would be defensible... though it
might be as bad as libpng.)

ISTM that the common theme with all this is R, and I am surprised that
R comes as part of sage, instead of requiring a separate install +
telling Sage where it is installed.  But don't feel obliged to
explain, I assume there is a reason.