Hi,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 2:25 PM, William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[...]
> This will be going on the main sagemath.org webpage, and could be a
> superb way of getting
> students really interested in sage.   I wonder if somebody could
> volunteer to read through
> the tutorial and make some comments, find typos, etc.?   It's fun, not
> too long, etc.

>From the "Slant (Oblique) Asymptotes" page at

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/elliottd/calctut/slantasymp.html

here are some typos and suggestions:

[1] You might want to rewrite the sentence

"The third type at which we are going to look is functions with slant
asymptotes."

as

"The third type we're going to cover is functions with slant asymptotes."

[2] You might want to rewrite the sentence

"The following graph is of one such function:"

as

"The following graph is one such function:"

[3] For the graph in

http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/elliottd/calctut/pix/calctut/slantasymp01.png

the accompanying Sage code produces a graph that's a bit different
from the one you're showing. In particular, the minimum and maximum
y-values in your graph are different from those in the graph produced
by your Sage code. After running your Sage plot code, I obtained a
graph with minimum and maximum y-values equal to -10 and 10,
respectively. I think it's a good idea to _actually_ show the image
produced by your plot code so as to avoid (some) confusion on the part
of students going through your tutorial.

[4] You might want to rewrite the sentence

"Where numerical analysis can still come into play, though, in a case
where you can't simplify a function to fit this general form. "

as

"Where numerical analysis can still come into play, though, is in the
case where you can't simplify a function to fit this general form. "

--
Regards
Minh Van Nguyen

Web: http://nguyenminh2.googlepages.com