\On Oct 27, 2008, at 9:41 PM, Tim Abbott wrote:

> On Oct 28, 12:31 am, "Mike Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> I assume that we would/should add some other marker to the
>> filename to
>> identify it as the Sage version of that package rather than the
>> vanilla upstream source.
>
> Yeah, that's an issue I probably should have mentioned in my original
> email.  One solution to that would be to always include the appended
> p0 (or whatever) in the version number for Sage versions of packages.
> Another would be to use the extension .spkg.tar.bz2.

It should be noted that that they are not *just* bzipped tar files,
there is also the requirement that they contain an spkg-install
script (and, ideally, spkg.txt, a mercurial repo, etc.) But there is
often confusion that they can be opened with standard tar tools
(though the same could be said of open office files being .zip with a
non-obvious extension).

- Robert