> But I would highly suggest that someone (i.e. you) make phc detection
> much more robust. "which" usually returns an error code unequal to
> zero (it doesn't on Solaris :(), so that is what you should check and
> otherwise throw a proper exception.

So I ended up doing something like this on #4386, but I'd be really
curious if there's a better way. In particular, here's what I did:

find_phc = os.popen2('which phc')[1].readlines()
if find_phc == []:
    raise ValueError, "phc not found"

The popen2 returns a pair of file handles, the first wrapping stdin,
and the second wrapping stdout. (In fact, looking at this, I realize
that I forgot to close these file handles ... patch up at #4428.)

So is there a better way to search your path for an executable in Python?

-cc