On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Dan Drake <dr...@kaist.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 at 12:13PM -0500, Luiz Felipe Martins wrote:
>> Believe me, going to Sage has been (and will continue to be) a major
>> time investment. Faculty coming to Sage will weigh their disillusion
>> with other software against the investment needed to change. I
>> actually pondered about it for the whole fall semester, before "taking
>> the plunge". People will have to be convinced of two things:
>> 1) It works better than current commercial software.
>> 2) Even if the transition is not easy, it is worth the effort.
>
> Ironically, one thing that makes the time investment valuable is that
> Sage costs nothing to acquire. In graduate school, I made an enormous
> time investment into CAS X and became very proficient with it. Then I
> came to my current institution, which uses CAS Y, and discovered that
> all my time investment into X was worthless.
>
> (Actually, it's worse than that: here, they use use an outdated version
> of Y and aren't interested in updating. So when I searched the web
> trying to learn about Y, I kept running into unhelpful information about
> the newest version, which made learning the older version even more
> difficult.)
>
> With Sage, this issue is moot. Anywhere I go, I can use Sage. If I write
> Sage code, any colleague can get Sage and run it. These things
> contribute to making the time investment in learning Sage valuable, and
> are things that the four M's don't have.

It's the same problem with a lot of different programs one might chose
to use, though math software is somehow particular bad for some
reason, due to the high price for the non-student versions.  It's
always really amazed me that Maple academic is over $550 and
non-academic is over $2000.  Isn't that nearly an order of magnitude
worse than non-student versions of Word/Photoshop/etc?

One problem I personally had wasn't the same sort of forced transition
from CAS X to CAS Y like you had, but that the sole "CAS" I could use
was Magma, since it was literally the only program out there capable
of doing pretty much any of the interesting computational mathematics
I need for my teaching or research.  Not only were all my eggs in one
basket, so to speak, but buying a single license of Magma costs well
over $1000, and that is *with* the academic discount.   That situation
was just very frustrating for me, not because I couldn't get Magma (I
got it for free as a developer), but that so many other students and
colleagues couldn't get it.

Also, I think the technology in Magma overall is not up to snuff
compared to what I saw as possible, and that situation is not
changing.  (I mean that Magma's capabilities in graphics, Cython-like
compilation, user defined types, viewing of source code, etc., are
poor.)  There was just no rational choice but to switch.

 -- William