Hi. The software you mention may remain nameless, but it is pretty
obvious what it is. There was a serious screw up when they tried to
redo their whole interface in Java, as I was told by a representative.

There are two main reasons I switched to sage, besides frustration
with other software:

1) A few years ago I decided math students should learn a real
computer language, instead of the scripting language of some
particular CAS. I started desining a Number Theory course using
Python. So, Sage is a natural choice. The language of the software you
mentioned is particularly inconsistent and badly designed. (I know, I
once debugged one of their integration routines.)

2) The notebook interface and its online capabilities.

Believe me, going to Sage has been (and will continue to be) a major
time investment. Faculty coming to Sage will weigh their disillusion
with other software against the investment needed to change. I
actually pondered about it for the whole fall semester, before "taking
the plunge". People will have to be convinced of two things:
1) It works better than current commercial software.
2) Even if the transition is not easy, it is worth the effort.

Felipe

--
"The main things which seem to me important on their own account, and
not merely as means to other things, are knowledge, art, instinctive

L. Felipe Martins
Department of Mathematics
Cleveland State University
luizfelipe.mart...@gmail.com