William Stein wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 2:30 AM, Martin Albrecht
> <m...@informatik.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
>>> Sure. I think that what you want is still orthogonal to the TinyMCE
>>> effort, but having another edit widget in the tree "just" for
>>> highlighting ought to be well thought out and the burden of
>>> maintenance must be taken into account, i.e. if somehow TinyMCE could
>>> be extended to do Python and all the other languages the notebook
>>> supports syntax highlighting via some plugins that would be
>>> preferable. As far as I understand we don't use TinyMCE to edit the
>>> cells themselves yet, but that could be something we might do in the
>>> future.
>> One concern I'd have about this is that this added convenience could slow
>> down
>> the creation and work with the input cells. They're quite snappy now and I
>> would like to keep them that way (rather them being bloated).
>>
>> Martin
>
> I also share this concern, having done a lot of the work to make the
> notebook snappy and not bloated.  Last year, Tom Boothby did integrate
> the EditArea code editor into the notebook, and we tried it
> extensively, but it just plain "felt slow", so we didn't go forward
> with including it in Sage at the time.
>
> Tom likes to push the notebook quite hard, e.g., editing dozens of
> very large cells in a single worksheet, so he's pretty sensitive to
> the bloat versus speed issue.

I have one very large cell in a notebook and it is very, very painful to
type a single character in that cell currently.  You can download the
worksheet by getting the source .tar.gz at
http://arxiv.org/abs/0812.1616 (direct link:
http://arxiv.org/e-print/0812.1616v1)

It's basically a large .sage file that we've copied into a single cell
of the notebook.  I'll see if I can try the editarea trick with it.

Jason