On Feb 19, 5:56 am, Simon King <k...@mathematik.uni-jena.de> wrote:
> Hi Michael,

Hi Simon,

> On Feb 19, 2:37 pm, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > > BTW, I think it would be a good thing to be able to up- or downgrade
> > > individual components of Sage. In this case, my motivation was a bug
> > > that only occured in Singular-3-0-4.
>
> > This will never work in any reliable way and I don't think we should
> > support this.
> > Well, aside from the warning why do you care if a drop in replacement
> > + build from scratch works?
>
> I mainly cared about the possibility of up- and downgrading individual
> components (see the title of this thread!)

Believe me, one can do however he pleases with Sage, but it is a giant
step from monkeying around in the privacy of ones home vs. public
support :)

>-- I think this could be a
> useful thing. But, as you said, this is not going to be supported :(

Well, it isn't just individual spkgs, but spkgs have a dependency
tree, i.e. if you wanted to downgrade LinBox you would need to
consider Givaro and then on and on and on cumulating in fixes to the
LinBox <-> Sage interface. There are some people around here with
enough Sage-Fu who can do it [and I would claim that includes me
without having to blush :)] and I am always happy to help, but you
have to draw the line somewhere.

> And I'm not really scared by warning messages, provided things work :)
> As you can see in my original post, my second bunch of questions
> (concerning the warning) was just out of curiosity).

The issue you are hitting are ironically related to the GCD changes in
Singular 3-1-0:

This is the code you have to fix in multi_polynomial_libsingular.pyx

        if algorithm == "ezgcd":
            Off(SW_USE_CHINREM_GCD)
            On(SW_USE_EZGCD)        elif algorithm == "modular":
            On(SW_USE_CHINREM_GCD)
            Off(SW_USE_EZGCD)
        else:

I have no clue what he GCD code in Singular 3-1-0 looks like, but feel
free to let us know how you fixed it :)

> Cheers
>        Simon

Cheers,