Thanks for the diagnosis and suggestions.  Evidently I did the upgrade
from a clone, one I made yesterday to review one of those patches....

Suggestion:  since the upgrade already gives a prompt and will not
continue unless you reply "yes",  why not add to that prompt a line
saying don't go any further unless you are not in a clone.  Even
better, detect whether or not you are in a clone and quite if you are
(if that is possible).

I'm now doing an upgrade from my rc0 build, not from any clone, and
we'll see what happens!

John