On Feb 21, 9:58 am, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi John,

> Thanks, Michael.  Obviously do not spend any (more) time on this
> before 3.3 is out.

The Sage 3.3 sources are already in the usual place with the other
3.3.alpha and rc releases. They should be on the main website within a
few hours.

>  Or maybe 3.4. or 3.4.1. or...
>
> seehttp://www.warwick.ac.uk/staff/J.E.Cremona/upgrade.tgz

Ok, I will take a look.

> for the install log and env output.
>
> I could not do either "hg heads" or "hg status" in sage-3.3.rc0/devel/
> sage :
>
> j...@ubuntu%pwd
> /home/john/sage-3.3.rc0/devel/sage
> j...@ubuntu%hg heads
> abort: requirement 'fncache' not supported!
> j...@ubuntu%hg status
> abort: requirement 'fncache' not supported!

./sage -sh should fix that, but as you indicate below "sage -hg" is
broken for you. This could be caused by either a broken env or some
other problem with the upgraded Sage - at this point it could be
either (or both? :).

> Googling suggests that there is a mismatch between the versions of hg
> in use.  Mine is 0.9.5 while Sage has 1.0.1

3.3.rc0 ships with hg 1.1.2:

mabsh...@sage:/scratch/mabshoff/sage-3.3.rc0$ ./sage -sh

Starting subshell with Sage environment variables set.
Be sure to exit when you are done and do not do anything
with other copies of Sage!
mabsh...@sage:/scratch/mabshoff/sage-3.3.rc0$ hg -v
Mercurial Distributed SCM (version 1.1.2)

If the hg with your Sage is 1.0.1 there is even something broken with
your Sage 3.3.rc0 base build, so assuming this is also the problem
with the other failed upgrade it is no surprise that things blow up
for you :(

> which looks as if it might
> be a cause of some problems.  There is no more recent version in the
> ubuntu repository I use.  Anyway, using "sage -hg" instead of hg gives
> the same errors.  (Normally I only ever use hg from the Sage command-
> line using hg_sage.apply() and the like.)

Ok.

> John

If you have the patience: Create a completely new user account on that
machine and build some 3.3.alpha or rc release in that. Then try
upgrading to the final 3.3. If that works it is something in your
environment.

Cheers,

Michael