On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Maurizio <maurizio.gran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Carl,
> this is certainly reasonable, but maybe a little unfeasible.
> Can you derive some information from this description, or has this
> been useless? Maybe I can provide something like the last part of the
> notebook, placing some intermediate expression by hand.

The description doesn't help me.  I'm willing to take a brief look if
I have a simple reproduction case, but your description doesn't give
me much hope of reproducing the problem.  (It might be enough to give
a hint to somebody familiar with the code, but I'm not.)

You could try:
test = loads(dumps(bad_expr))
where bad_expr is the slow one.  If test acts the same as bad_expr (is
similarly slow), then that means that you can just do:
save(bad_expr, 'slow_substitution.sobj')
and post slow_substitution.sobj.

> Could you also show me where should I look at for better understanding
> this? Is it a good idea to verify the types of the expressions used?
> Is it a problem interfacing to any symbolic package different from the
> ordinary maxima one? I don't exactly recall if I took advantage of
> others.

I see that you're substituting in a symbolic value.  Does it change
anything if you change Vgr_pk to a numeric value instead?

Looking at types is good.

Probably where I would start is by running the slow command, pressing
Control-C when it's about halfway through, and looking at the
backtrace to see if I could figure out what was going on.  The problem
would almost certainly be related to something on the backtrace, so
that's a reasonable place to start.  My first guess would be that
you'll discover that the slowness is because it's interacting with
maxima somehow; if that's the case, then you need to figure out why.

Using other symbolic packages might or might not be a problem.  (It's
not supposed to be a problem, but we're assuming there's a bug
somewhere.  Interfaces between separate packages are always a fruitful
place for bugs.)

Carl