On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:24 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Carl Witty <carl.wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, should I prepare patches that deprecate implicit calling of
>> symbolics and of polynomials?  (Would they be likely to be accepted?)
>
> Definitely for symbolics.  I'm less clear about the situation for
> polynomials.  Regarding symbolics, I think we should definitely do
> this before the Pynac switchover -- i.e., the sooner the better.  That
> will make the pynac switchover smoother.

I'm having a hard time coming up with good wording for the deprecation
message.  This is what I've got so far; any suggestions for
improvements?

"Doing substitutions by calling a symbolic expression is deprecated;
use EXPR.subs(x=..., y=...) instead"

Is there a way to make it clear in this message that we're not
deprecating EXPR(x=...)?  (At least I assume we're not.)

And should the recommended replacement be EXPR.subs(x=..., y=...) or

Carl