Does he keep track of his experiment somewhere on the net? I would
like to have a look at it.

By the way, this effort is certainly good, but one of the biggest
merit of SAGE was (in my modest opinion) the idea to not reinvent the
wheel as long as it's possible. (I hope SAGE is not changing its path,
in reimplementing basics in its own way...)

So, in this case I can see that the "unit of measurements" package
shouldn't be too much of effort to build one from scratch, so trying
to adapt an existing one to work with SAGE couldn't be the best choice
in this case, nonetheless I am wondering if the other opportunities
out there (there are at least three, as you can see in the trac
ticket) have been previously explored to take some advantage! There
are non-trivial issues like compound units management that may have
already been successfully faced.

Regards

Maurizio