Maurizio wrote:

> Regarding the output of such expression you wrote, I agree that it
> should give a standard unit output for each physical quantity, so by
> presetting SI (or imperial, or anything else), it should give just
> meters (or feets, or anything else)...

I'm pretty sure that would cause more trouble than it's worth.
Whatever the standard, there could well be nonstandard combinations
such as centimeters per day or liters per kilometer, which should
be preserved as such. In the US, which is an important enough
audience to be accomodated in the design of a units package,
mixed-up units from different standards or no standards at all are
very common, and should be preserved as such.
And whatever the system or lack of it, it would be annoying to
change fractional or multiple units (inches, kilometers, etc) to
their base units (feet, meters, etc).

The point is to accomodate the user, who has a better idea about
what they want to accomplish than the package writer.

FWIW

Robert Dodier