If you're editing files in the sage library, you need to type
sage -br
from the command line in order for your changes to be incorporated into the
copy of sage that you're running (the -b builds, the -r means to start
sage).

Having written a lazy p-adics class, my guess is that your pickling errors
have to do with the fact that you're storing a function.  If you replace all
of the local functions that you're storing with callable classes (ie a class
that implements the __call__ method), you should be able to get pickling to
work.
David