On Apr 24, 11:26 am, Tim Abbott <tabb...@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, mabshoff wrote:

Hi Tim,

<SNIP>

> > Well, you pushed patches upstream that contain GNUisms and I will end
> > up patching it out of the sources again, so I am not too happy about
> > that since upstream way too often does not understand that GNUisms are
> > bad or are totally unaware of the problem in the first place.
>
> Yes, there were a few early versions of patches to add shared library
> support written by Francois Bissey and myself that were merged by various
> upstream library maintainers and did have GNUisms.  In more recent work,
> I've been encouraging upstream library maintainers to use libtool when
> adding shared library support.

Well, according to http://www.shoup.net/ntl/doc/tour-unix.html#shared

If you set SHARED=on, then behind the scenes, the procedure used by
the makefile changes a bit. In particular, the magical GNU program
libtool is used to deal with all idiosyncracies of shared libraries.
You may need to set the configuration variable LIBTOOL, to point to
another version of libtool. For example, on Mac OSX, the built-in
command called libtool is not actually the GNU libtool program; in
this case, you will want to set LIBTOOL=glibtool. On other systems, it
may be necssary to downlaod and install a fresh copy of the libtool
program (which can be obtained from here). Note that if SHARED=on,
then in addition to using the libtool program, the makefile relies on
features specific to GNU make.

Is that correct or are the GNUisms Victor's fault?

> NTL is one example of a piece of software that is now doing this.  I
> believe NTL 5.5 supports building a shared library with non-GNU make.
>
> If you have any problems with how NTL's shared library support was added,
> please let me know, as I'm thinking about sending patches replacing the
> early shared library support that has GNUisms with using libtool.

Ok. I am specifically thinking of your patch to zn_poly as well as
polybori where your patch broke the linking on OSX 10.4 for example.

> > I don't know of any patch but the NTL one where this could be the
> > case. We have contacted Victor Shoup several times to speak or visit a
> > Sage days and he has *never* responded. The author of that patch works
> > at NYU, i.e. the same place as Victor and if he never got around to
> > get the patch merged than I can hardly call that our fault.
>
> As I understand it, David Harvey isn't physically at NYU yet and nobody
> had mentioned the patch to Victor prior to my sending it to Victor.

Ok.

> > Another author we have contacted via numerous people as well as
> > multiple times is the cddlib author and he has also *never* responded
> > to us.
>
> The cddlib maintainer has responded to me three or four times, though
> generally very slowly.  But a Fedora guy was unsuccessful in contacting
> him and ended up emailing me asking how to reach him.

Ok, if you contact upstream about anything Sage related please CC me
and William in the future. If the person responds only to you which
happens frequently with people being unaware there is a "reply-all"
please either forward the email to me and William or CC me on the
reply again.

> > I consider this completely wrong. Can you mention some concrete
> > examples?
>
> The ones that caused trouble for me are the NTL patch and the NullspaceMP
> function added to iml.

There is a new upstream-ish release of IML whcih should have this
code.

> It sounds like you are planning to work to avoid these types of problems
> in the future, which is all that's important to me here.

Yes, you just ended up with the patches that fell through the
cracks :)

My time is limited and if I have written a couple email to upstream
and I never got any feedback at all I am just dropping the issue since
I have plenty of other things to do.

>         -Tim Abbott

Cheers,

Michael