On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Gonzalo Tornaria wrote:

> would it make sense to have a small "sage-source" debian package which
> depends on the (few) build tools required to build debian and which
> upon installation downloads sage, compiles it, and places it in a
> (debian specific) standard place in the system? Alternatively, the
> package actually comes with the full source code (better for places
> with apt caches or debian mirrors). I recall once upon a time there
> was a (similar idea) debian package for netscape, which would actually
> download it from netscape website and install it.

I think the reason Netscape was done that way is actually because it
wasn't free software, and so Debian wasn't willing to distribute it
directly.  In fact, Google suggests the Netscape package was just a script
that downloaded the binaries from the website and then installed them.

I think it would be hard to avoid violating Debian policy with such a
package, and even if it did not, I suspect the Debian community would
frown on such an arrangement for a piece of software in the main (free
software) section of the archive.

        -Tim Abbott