Hi, Michael,

On Apr 30, 2009, at 05:23 , mabshoff wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> here goes 3.4.2.rc0 - a little later than planned, but it seems like
> we fixed all the issues (and more) that needed to be fixed. We finally
> merged the symbolic logic code written well over *18* months ago, but
> "no doctests, no merge" is something we take seriously. On top of that
> we are at
>
> Overall weighted coverage score:  71.1%
> Total number of functions:  22348
> We need  881 more function to get to 75% coverage.
> We need 1999 more function to get to 80% coverage.
> We need 3116 more function to get to 85% coverage.
>
> Note that this is also due to splitting DSage into its own spkg. We
> will discuss what to do with the DSage codebase at SD15 I assume.
>
> The source tarball, upgrade bits as well as a sage.math binary are in
> the usual place at
>
>   http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.4.2/

My first attempt to build this (Mac OS X, 10.5.6, Dual Quad Xeon) blew
up with python-2.5.  I had two of these errors:

     Compiling /Users/tmp/sage-3.4.2.rc0/local/lib/python2.5/test/
test_multibytecodec.py ...
     Sorry: UnicodeError: ("\\N escapes not supported (can't load
unicodedata module)",)

(i.e., twice with the same file), and the final straw was:

     Sleeping for three seconds before testing python
     Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
       File "/tmp/sage-3.4.1/local/lib/python2.5/md5.py", line 6, in
<module>
         from hashlib import md5
       File "/tmp/sage-3.4.1/local/lib/python2.5/hashlib.py", line
133, in <module>
         md5 = __get_builtin_constructor('md5')
       File "/tmp/sage-3.4.1/local/lib/python2.5/hashlib.py", line 60,
in __get_builtin_constructor
         import _md5
     ImportError: No module named _md5
     md5 module failed to import

I restarted the build without changing anything, and it completed w/o
complaints.

The log file is at
    sage.math.washington.edu:~justin/logs/3.4.2.rc0.log
if you want to paw through it looking for hints; I didn't see anything
obvious, but your younger eyes are probably sharper than mine :-}

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb