On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:13 PM, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 30, 10:06 pm, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 30, 8:54 pm, mabshoff <mabsh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> > Is this reproducible?
>>
>> Apparently not: I've been trying to get it again, but unsuccessfully.
>
> Yeah, my experience is that that code is inherently racy and no one
> has even been able to reproduce it. I don't see it on sage.math at
> all, but I am also use a RAM disk for DOT_SAGE, so I think that has
> something to do with it.
>
>>   John
>
> It looks like we should consider merging "#5952: Worksheet downloading
> blocks the entire server" since otherwise you can trivially DOS the
> whole server.

> Maybe that option should be disabled per default for
> now? No patch has been posted and I am not 100% sure RobertWB is
> working on a patch. Comments?

I could easily DOS any sage notebook server right now in many ways,
which I won't list here since I don't want to give anybody any ideas.
 #5952 only stops the server *while* the directories with the
worksheets are being tar'd up -- once that filesystem operation
finishes, things go back to being nonblocking.

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics