On May 2, 10:06 am, rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:
perhaps I've missed something?

Well, you've missed so much that you clearly just enjoyed writing a
flame.

I use Sage for a number of research purposes for which it is the only
system that integrates all the things I need (for example, gfan).  For
me, speeding up basic symbolic operations by moving to python/cython
makes total sense - there is no doubt in my mind that adding what I
need to Maxima would take a lot longer.  As you yourself pointed out,
doing things like symbolic indefinite integrals isn't that important
for many purposes, including mine.

It always seems that you are unwilling to accept that there are a
number of areas in which the python/C ecosystem is in a much healthier
state than Lisp.  Bioinformatics is a good example; in bioinformatics
perl is much more popular than python but I think python was a good
choice for sage given the very wide range of applications we are
aiming for.

M.Hampton