This is such an amusing thread. Try re-reading the thread as if everyone
were arguing that "we should improve Maxima because it is open source
and many people can improve upon it". Sure, you'd have to learn lisp
but Guido argues that python is lisp, so is the learning curve so steep?

On average over the lifetime of a project, code costs about $43 per line.
That means that Maxima is worth about $10,750,000 million dollars.
At a really productive rate of 100 lines of debugged code per day
that's 2500 days, or 10 years of work (5days x 50weeks)

If you had 250k lines of python and someone said "lets rewrite it in Java
because ...." then you would assume the person is misguided. But you
have 250k lines of lisp and now you argue "lets rewrite it in Python
because....".

Maxima is old, reliable, solid code that can and does run in Sage.
There are porting issues but the total work required to debug a port
is completely dwarfed by the total work to write and debug a python verion.

If you believe that porting issues are lisp-specific, the transition to
python 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, .... might convince you otherwise (eventually).

I don't have a dog in this fight so I don't care either way.
I'm just entertained by all of the "open source is great" arguments that
gets applied to everything but Maxima and lisp.

Tim Daly