Hi,

I have a question about Sage and the GPL.  Here is the main question..

IF I write code in a Sage notebook, AND I redistribute the code, do I
need to release my code under the GPL?

Here is a bit of background...

At a conference in the last year, one of the Sage developers was asked
this question, and their answer was...

"You can do whatever you want with your code, you don't have to
release it under the GPL"

In general, I don't think this answer can be right, but I think it is
actually a bit subtle.  Here are some of the issues that I see (all of
this assumes that I do want to distribute my code to others)...

* Is the code pure python or does it use the sage syntax?  If the code
uses the sage syntax, I think it must be released under the GPL.
* Does the code being written actually use any GPL libraries (like the
sage python package)?  If the code uses GPL libraries, I again think
it must be GPL'd.
* Does the code run without sage?
* Does a sage notebook constitute "source code" in the GPL sense?
* Is a notebook (even one that uses the "python" mode) a derivative
work of sage?
* If a sage notebook is "source code" does clicking "Share" in the
notebook constitute "distribution".  In other words, if a bunch of
people start sharing sage notebooks, do they all have to be GPL?

The usage case I have in mind is using this to teach University
courses in computational physics.  I know others are already doing
this (William is right now I think).  If I share notebooks with
students and they with me, does everything have to be GPL?  If we only
use non-GPL libraries and the "python" mode of the notebook could we
choose a different license?  This is relevant, because I need to
clarify these issues for students and faculty who would use Sage in
this manner.  It isn't necessarily bad if the answer is "GPL", but we
all need to know this.

Cheers,

Brian