On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg....@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> At a conference in the last year, one of the Sage developers was asked
>>> this question, and their answer was...
>>>
>>> "You can do whatever you want with your code, you don't have to
>>> release it under the GPL"
>
>> I'm pretty sure that is correct.
>> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#CanIUseGPLToolsForNF
>
> This covers GPL'd editors and compilers.  Sage is neither.  The Sage

It is difficult if not impossible to come up with a general legal
principle of this type covering all software. The basic idea, I think,
is that when you use software to produce a tangible creative work
then you own the copyright of the part you created. License that part
as you wish. In the case of Sage, the sws file produced by the
notebook is yours. Of course, we hope you will license it under
the cc-by-sa or GFDL or something like that and allow us to post it on the
wiki or in some web directory where others can access it, eg
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/wdj/teaching/worksheets/