Your comment about the sum function suggests to me that something
similar might be behind the weird thing I reported yesterday.

If you take a fresh clone of 3.4.2, and in the file
sage/rings/rational.pyx add this function:

   def dummy(self):
        return sum([a for a in self.list()],0)

say at line 391 (so inside the cdef class Rational()), then "sage -br"
complains like this:

Building modified file sage/rings/rational.pyx.
python2.5 `which cython` --embed-positions --incref-local-binop
-I/home/jec/sage-3.4.2/devel/sage-tests -o sage/rings/rational.c
sage/rings/rational.pyx

Error converting Pyrex file to C:
            [5/3]
        """
        return [ self ]

    def dummy(self):
        return sum([a for a in self.list()],0)
                 ^

/home/jec/sage-3.4.2/devel/sage-tests/sage/rings/rational.pyx:392:18:
Call with wrong number of arguments (expected 3, got 2)
Error running command, failed with status 256.
sage: There was an error installing modified sage library code.

Note that it (wrongly) says that the sum function wants 3 arguments.
If you try adding a third arguement, say by changing the code to

    def dummy(self):
        return sum([a for a in self.list()],0,0)

then the error message changes to
/home/jec/sage-3.4.2/devel/sage-tests/sage/rings/rational.pyx:392:18:
Cannot convert 'sage.rings.rational.GEN' to Python object

and the only place I know where things are called GEN is in pari,
where there is a sum() function which takes 3 arguments (as declared
in sage/libs/pari/decl.pxi:  GEN     sum(GEN v, long a, long b)

So my diagnosis is that when rational.pyx is recompiled, it is picking
up the wrong sum().

Sorry, I am not qualified to provide a cure!  It is quite surpriding
if the sum() function has never before been used in a .pyx file!
John