2009/6/9 Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>:

>>> I would envision that I would setup an always-running script on
>>> sage.math that would simply monitor trac and whenever a ticket
>>> changes
>>> to "[with patch; needs review]" it would notice, automatically do all
>>> of the above, and if anything fails it would change the ticket to
>>> "[with patch; needs work]", and post a comment listing failures (and
>>> maybe a hyperlink to a long report).  If everything passes, it would
>>> change the header to "[with patch; needs human review]".
>>>

>> That would work i nmost cases -- though not when one patch depends on
>> another (on another ticket), or when the ticket has a sequence of
>> patches with "human" annotations such as "replaces previous", "apply
>> after the first patch", and so on....
>
> One could probably parse "depends on #...", and if there are several
> patches, just try applying them in order. A failure would not be an
> automatic rejection, but would be very useful information. I've been
> thinking about writing something like this up for a while now, but
> there's never enough time to do everything one wants to in Sage :)

How about adding to trac a "depends on" field where any patches (not
yet merge, i.e. attached to not closed tickets) could be listed.  Part
of the patch submission process would be to list these (where
appropriate).  At the same time introduce a simple consistent naming
system for patches, so that regardless of what
good/bad/strange/misspelt names patch authors use, there is a trac
alias along the lines of trac_nnnn_N.patch where nnnn is the ticket
number and N is the sequence number withing th ticket;  these to be
assigned automatically when patches are uploaded.

I have absolutely no idea if this is possible...

John