On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 3:15 AM, Dr. David
Kirkby<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:

> I think we should really make some effort to improve our page on Wikipedia.
>
> Comparing the Sage and Mathematica pages on Wikipedia shows the
> Mathematica one is much nicer. Would it not be sensible to put some
> effort into promoting Sage there? If it looks like the program is more
> complete, one has a greater chance of getting people using it and
> attracting more developers.
>
> As you know, I'm interested in porting sage to Solaris, as I'm a Solaris
> user and want to use it there. Hence I'm not a Sage user. Looking on the
> Mathematica Wikipedia entry, there is one person who definitely (and
> admits) he works for WRI and another I suspect does, as his edits to the
>  Mathematica page always promote it, and his edits to the Sage page
> always demotes it. (When I asked, he declines to answer).
>
> What of the following could we say Sage supports? Can someone give me a
> yes/no or brief comment by each of these.

> Some features of Mathematica include:
>
>     * Libraries of elementary and special mathematical functions

yes

>     * 2D and 3D data and function visualization tools

yes

>     * Matrix and data manipulation tools including support for sparse
> arrays

yes

>     * Solvers for systems of equations, ODEs, PDEs, DAEs, DDEs and
> recurrence relations

no clue

>     * Numeric and symbolic tools for discrete and continuous calculus

yes.  I don't know what "discrete calculus" means.

>     * Multivariate statistics libraries

yes (R and scipy)

>     * Constrained and unconstrained local and global optimization

no clue

>     * A programming language supporting procedural, functional and
> object oriented constructs

Yes -- python.

yes -- @interact

>     * Tools for image processing [5]

yes, in pylab, plus also there is the Python Imagining Library.  (PIL)

>     * Tools for visualizing and analysing graphs

yes

>     * Data mining tools such as cluster analysis, sequence alignment
> and pattern matching

maybe.  not sure.

>     * Libraries of number theory functions

yes.

>     * Continuous and discrete integral transforms

no clue

>     * Import and export filters for data, images, video, sound, CAD,
> GIS, document and biomedical formats

don't know.  probably python has most of that.

>     * A collection of databases of mathematical, scientific, and
> socio-economic information (see below)

nope, and little interest since people just write pythons scripts to
import such data when they need it...

>     * Support for complex number, arbitrary precision and symbolic
> computation for all functions

"all functions"?  yeah right.

>     * Notebook interface for review and re-use of previous inputs and
> outputs including graphics and text annotations

yes

>     * Technical word processing including formula editing and automated
> report generating

yes, except I don't know what "automated report generating".

>     * Tools for connecting to SQL, Java, .NET, C++, FORTRAN and http
> based systems

Yes.

 -- William