>> On a fresh attempt to build from source, everything went fine.  For
>> the first attempt, the only difference I can discern is that I had set
>>
>> declare -x MAKE="make -j4"
>>
>> which in the past has smoothly allowed the build to use both
>> processors.  Is this the cause of my failure?
>
> No idea....

This is a known race condition -- for a patch, see

The patch *should* fix the issue, but since it's an intermittent
problem, it's hard to know that it's *completely* fixed. This was
merged during 4.0.2, but somehow we mixed up merge trees and it wasn't
in the final release. I asked to get it into the last release, but it
still didn't make it ... maybe it'll make it in again soon? I marked
the ticket "needs review," but as I say on the ticket, it's actually
been reviewed once. It felt like cheating to make a new ticket and
list it as "with positive review." :)

-cc