On Jul 22, 2009, at 6:47 AM, Burcin Erocal wrote:

> I still don't see the motivation for switching back to Maxima
> behavior.
> Somehow Maple and MMA both work the same way as GiNaC/pynac, and their
> users don't have difficulty using them.
>
> I'm sure if some users complained about how partial derivatives
> behaved
> in these commercial systems, the companies would be motivated to
> provide an alternative, but they don't.

Maple provides the D notation as an option (I don't know about
Mathematica).
Plus, they provide a way to convert to standard notation. Sage
doesn't. In
addition, this notation doesn't work properly with the rest of Sage
(which
includes Maxima).

+1 for changing things.

Sage is currently unusable for me with this notation.

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey