On Jul 23, 7:09 pm, rjf <fate...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding Sage running on a server:  some of the components may be
> sufficiently general as to pose hazards in a server environment.  For
> example, Maxima can create and delete files, quickly fill up all
> available memory, etc.  I would guess that other components are also
> hazardous.  It seems to me that the only practical solution is to run
> Sage in a virtual machine on the server, which may be costly. Is that
> what is being proposed?

yes, a c compiler is also a requirement for sage, therefore
potentially everything could happen.
uhm, i think, a possible way would be to split data and processing.
this means, there is a central switch point from the outside network,
it knows about many sage systems running in virtual environments (one
benefit is, that they can be reset very quickly, restoring their
files, ...) and it picks one of them for a user. on the "back side" is
a data storage for each user, that is also connected to the selected
sage instance. if a sage fails, just the session is killed, not the
data.

also about the hazards, it should be possible to make things more
secure. but that's complicated. one thing that comes to my mind with
compiling c code is the "native client" approach by google. it tries
to run native code inside a webbrowser. to avoid hazards, there is a
checker for the compiled code before it is executed!
http://code.google.com/p/nativeclient/
http://nativeclient.googlecode.com/svn/data/docs_tarball/nacl/googleclient/native_client/documentation/nacl_paper.pdf
I don't know the details, but Sage has a similar "problem" ;)

> Regarding Sage adoption by schools -- there is a large literature on
> computer algebra and teaching.[...] Will using Sage help
> weak students? Also for many students, math courses are an (unwelcome)
> requirement. Will they change because of Sage?
>  If a student just doesn't understand (say)  what is a function, or
> what is a group, will a computer program help?

Uhm, i think that's too complicated to say anything definitely about
those questions. Although they are very important.

I think, one very useful and interesting "test" could be the
following: stick together three average students (not only maths, also
physics ...) without any or only limited prior knowledge of Sage, with
Sage on one PC and let them do their homework together on that
computer. a video cam watches them and also one for the monitor! I
expect them to get angry and probably fail to use Sage, but that would
give a lot of information how they tried to use the product, where
they expected things to be, and so on.
And yes, I think it would help some students to understand what a
group or ring is if it is programmable in sage - but I say only some,
others might be confused or more happy with another approach! I think
there is no golden way that fits for all students, but more
opportunities and more representations of the same idea help to
abstract it.