> *  Have you identified the three or four most likely changes a developer will
> need to make, and tailored developer guides for those tasks?
>
> No, that would be a good idea for a tutorial.    What are they?
>    * add a new function to some existing class
>    * improve plotting in some way
>    * fix/improve something in the GUI notebook server
>    * add a new ring/field/element

This would be *fantastic*!

I'm going through Albrecht's Barcelona slides on Sage development,
they give some great background (why I should build tools inside the
sage directory, what the directories mean and where the files of
interest probably are, how to use hg), but a specific example of each
of these 4 bullets would reduce at least my NRE.

Additional less-important bullets may be:
   * add a 3rd party package into Sage (either python or otherwise---
explicit descriptions of how either of these have been done, unless
the source by itself is very cogent)
   * make changes to 3rd party packages already in Sage (Scipy, etc.).
Some guidance may be useful.