Don't know if anyone's interested, but I've converted the sage vmware
image to run on virtualbox, and had it running both under Ubuntu and
Mac hosts a while ago.

The steps I followed (apologies if it's wrong, I just scribbled it
down as I was doing it, so may have left something)

1. Import the vmware disks into virtualbox, using the virtualbox media
manager. Import both disks - disk.vmdk and swap.vmdk
2. Create a new ubuntu virtual machine and assign the new disks
(disk.vmdk as primary master, swap.vmdk as primary slave)
3. Boot the virtual machine, click Esc to get to the grub menu, edit
configuration (clicking 'e'), change sda1 to hda1 on the line that
says kernel /boot/vmlinuz... root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet ... press enter,
then click 'b' to boot
4. The virtual sage machine should load. After it does, log in with
user: manage; sudo vi /boot/grub/menu.lst - change sda1 to hda1 and
save
5. For networking, find out the Virtualbox MAC address for the
interface, then edit the first line mac on /etc/iftab
6. reboot

Yoav