On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Peter
Jeremy<peterjer...@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> On 2009-Aug-11 15:29:29 -0700, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>I just wanted to let people know that David Ackerman -- a UW student who
>>took my course on Sage last quarter -- is working (funded by NSF) on
>>creating a "units package" for Sage right _now_.
>
> Since no-one else has mentioned it, I presume you are aware that there
> is a 'units' tool included with Unix that does most of this.  It looks
> like it's optional on Linux (at least boxen knows it exists but doesn't
> have it installed).  It's standard on FreeBSD (and the underlying
> constants were worked through fairly recently to bring them into line
> with the latest values).

I "apt-get install" it so it is now on sage.math.

Regarding interval arithmetic, the Sage symbolic manipulation package
works with intervals, so it would be straightforward at any point in
the future to have unit conversion ratios be intervals if one wanted
that.

I would find USD and EU conversion useful when I'm traveling.   Then
the conversion should be looked up somehow using urllib say when the
program starts or every few minutes.

William