On Aug 13, 2:11 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
wrote:
> Jonathan wrote:
>
> > On Aug 13, 12:01 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
> > wrote:
> >> That might be a bit difficult. They are not in any easily accessible
> >> format.
>
> >> It is interesting that the charge on an electron returned by Mathematica
> >> (or Wolfram Alpha) is not the recommended value. Both NPL in the UK and
> >> NIST reference some document (2006 I think), yet WRI's value is not that
> >> value. It is however correct within the uncertainty of the measurement.
> > NIST supplies a simple table format.  I even started to write a
> > parser, but I'm a lot better at parsing in perl and java, so decided I
> > didn't have time.  If somebody wants to tackle the parsing, I can
> > probably dig up the link.
>
> > Jonathan
>
> I would worry a bit about automatic updating of values, in case things
> go wrong on the NIST web site.
>
> I think it would be better to update them on a new release of sage. The
> constants don't change that often - a bit of a play on words there.
>
> Dave
I think you are partially correct.  There should be a set of physical
constants included in SAGE which should be checked by hand and updated
at some regular interval.

I still think it worth trying to include an update function that the
user can call.  This function could try to go to one or more web sites
and download the data.  If the data is not there in the expected form
it should generate an error message.  If might also be wise to
generate a list of changes and ask the user to accept them.  Then if
things are weird the user is likely to catch it.  I think this is
doable, but at this point is I don't have time or the necessary
parsing experience in python to do this.

Jonathan