I believe that people rather than abstractions should take priority.
We are used to using $...$ for maths, so why should we not make the
docs markup system we use adapt to us rather than the other way round?
 I find the view 'let's keep ReST/Sphinx in Sage "pure" ' very hard to
understand!

2009/9/3 William A. Stein <wst...@gmail.com>:

> That's a good idea.  It would certainly be better than having to
> change Sage -- it would keep things "pure", but allow $'s, and even
> benefit you.  Great idea.   It's hard to argue with that.

I could not work out which idea is getting this thumbs up?  If we can
arrange for all single $ to be changed into ` that's fine by me.  I
have never used Ondrej's :math: in front, but maybe I should have.

John