On Sep 3, 12:37 pm, "William A. Stein" <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Ondrej Certik wrote:
>
> > So how about submitting a patch to sphinx
> > fixing it?
>
> > Ondrej
>
> That's a good idea.  It would certainly be better than having to
> change Sage -- it would keep things "pure", but allow $'s, and even
> benefit you.  Great idea.   It's hard to argue with that.

Well, dollar signs are mentioned (briefly) in the Sphinx
documentation, in the part about writing extensions.  So we could
write an extension for Sphinx which replaces "$" with "`", or
optionally replaces "$blah$" with ":math:`blah`".  I don't want to
make it too fancy, so it ought to be a pretty simple regular
expression search and replace.  How does that sound?

More precisely: we can have a Sphinx extension with a configurable
option; set one way, it will replace "$blah$" with "`blah`" (and
replace "\$" with "$").  Set the other way, it will replace "$blah$"
with ":math:`blah`" (and replace "\$" with "$").

What else should we do?  Do we have to deal with "$$ blah $$"?  "\
[ blah \]"?  I don't want this to be too involved, or we'll end up
writing a LaTeX compiler.

  John