On Sep 3, 1:22 pm, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have never used Ondrej's :math: in front, but maybe I should have.

I recall seeing somewhere that in ReST/Sphinx you can configure a
default "mode" for the backticks, so I think Ondrej is writing docs
for one his other systems and he *must* use  math:`x^2` to get LaTeX
output.  However, Sage's installation has chosen to configure  the
defaults so that just `x^2` is treated as being in "math" mode.  So in
one sense, Sage already makes it easy to get math into the docs, since
we don't have to prepend with math: .  Having to add math: would make
William more totally crazy, but would perhaps reduce the confusion.
Not a vote, not even a suggestion.  Just some background (if I'm even
remembering right).

Rob