John H Palmieri wrote:
> On Sep 3, 12:37 pm, "William A. Stein" <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 3, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Ondrej Certik wrote:
>>
>>> So how about submitting a patch to sphinx
>>> fixing it?
>>> Ondrej
>> That's a good idea.  It would certainly be better than having to
>> change Sage -- it would keep things "pure", but allow $'s, and even
>> benefit you.  Great idea.   It's hard to argue with that.
>
> Well, dollar signs are mentioned (briefly) in the Sphinx
> documentation, in the part about writing extensions.  So we could
> write an extension for Sphinx which replaces "$" with "`", or
> optionally replaces "$blah$" with ":math:`blah`".  I don't want to
> make it too fancy, so it ought to be a pretty simple regular
> expression search and replace.  How does that sound?
>
> More precisely: we can have a Sphinx extension with a configurable
> option; set one way, it will replace "$blah$" with "`blah`" (and
> replace "\$" with "$").  Set the other way, it will replace "$blah$"
> with ":math:`blah`" (and replace "\$" with "$").
>
> What else should we do?  Do we have to deal with "$$ blah $$"?  "\
> [ blah \]"?  I don't want this to be too involved, or we'll end up
> writing a LaTeX compiler.

Would it be too hard to make a more general (and useful)
"custom-delimiter" extension, that would allow a person to specify a
right and left delimiter that is just textually replaced with the mode
of their choice?  Our configuration would look something like:

right_delimiter='$'
left_delimiter='$'
mode=math

Jason