Sorry, I think you both misunderstood my question :)  If I was having
trouble in that sense, I would have posted on sage-support.

My question is, what behavior should Sage ALLOW from solve?  I am in
the midst of fixing some solve behavior caused by the Maxima upgrade,
and want someone else's opinion.  One idea I had was a keyword to
allow to_poly_solve (which allows better answers, but also inexact
ones) and very careful documentation to point out that solve with more
than one equation may return numerical answers.

<snip>

What is the desired behavior of solve()?  Since roots() uses it for
symbolic input, we already have some problems (also note that
to_poly_solve does not return multiplicities).  However, getting rid
of to_poly_solve seems unpleasant too, since it does solve a lot of
equations which formerly were mysterious to Sage.

If you have an opinion, please let me know.  Unfortunately, it
doesn't
look easy to keep an exact-solution-only behavior here.  The author
of
to_poly_solve expects to fix some bugs later this fall, but probably
not this aspect, since it's not a bug in Maxima, rather in our use of
Maxima.

- kcrisman