Jason Grout wrote:
> Carlo Hamalainen wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Jason Grout
>> <jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
>>> R has a C interface for lots of functions (like the distribution
>>> functions that I wanted today).  I imagine that a stats module would use
>>> Cython to call the C functions for these sorts of things, but then use
>>> rpy2 for the rest of the interaction with R.
>> Which distribution functions did you want? Are these of any use?
>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/6827
>
> Wow, nice!
>
> I needed normal, binomial, and uniform distributions.
>
> It seems a little awkward to get these.  For example:
>
> T = RealDistribution('uniform', [0, 2])
>
> I guess it would be nice if there were convenience functions, so
>
> sage.probability.uniform([0,2])
>
> constructed this.

I already regularily use two APIs for probability distributions: R and
SciPy. Both do essentially the same thing (quantiles, integrals,
densities, and random variates -- all numerical).

I can understand that the R API perhaps isn't elegant enough to import
into Sage as is, but perhaps the SciPy API could at least be emulated
rather than creating a new API?

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/stats.html
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.stats.uniform.html

(With regards to creating Cython wrappers directly to C functions, I'd
rather use the SciPy functionality, which is essentially the same thing,
only that no reimplementation of the wheel is needed.)

--
Dag Sverre