On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<da...@student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:

> Jason Grout wrote:
>> Carlo Hamalainen wrote:
>>> Which distribution functions did you want? Are these of any use?
>>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/6827
>>
>> Wow, nice!
>>
>> I needed normal, binomial, and uniform distributions.
>>
>> It seems a little awkward to get these.  For example:
>>
>> T = RealDistribution('uniform', [0, 2])
>>
>> I guess it would be nice if there were convenience functions, so
>>
>> sage.probability.uniform([0,2])
>>
>> constructed this.
>
> I already regularily use two APIs for probability distributions: R and
> SciPy. Both do essentially the same thing (quantiles, integrals,
> densities, and random variates -- all numerical).
>
> I can understand that the R API perhaps isn't elegant enough to import
> into Sage as is, but perhaps the SciPy API could at least be emulated
> rather than creating a new API?
>
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/stats.html
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.stats.uniform.html
>
> (With regards to creating Cython wrappers directly to C functions, I'd
> rather use the SciPy functionality, which is essentially the same thing,
> only that no reimplementation of the wheel is needed.)

I'm confused.  Above Jason says: "Scipy also does some of this stuff,
but R is *much* better.  For example, R has *nine* different quartile
algorithms you can choose from (compared to scipy's one, and
matplotlib's sort of broken one (it doesn't calculate quartiles
between data points)).  R also has the advantage of being vetted/used
by a huge statistics community."  I have also looked a lot at Scipy's
stats, and it seems overall not nearly as good as R's.  But you're
claiming they are "essentially the same thing".

William