On Thursday 01 October 2009 08:39 AM, Dan Drake wrote:
>> Who here is highly interested in the possibility of attending such a
>> Sage Days?
>
> It's quite unlikely I could make it -- I've got other travel, plus not
> enough funding, etc -- but I definitely think this should happen. In the
> other thread about #sage-devel's global coverage, I was going to mention
> that our developer map has no one in China or India -- two countries
> that together make up somewhere around 40% of the planet's population!

True (apart from a few exceptions).  Part of our mission at FOSSEE
(fossee.in, site still needs work) is to try and change that indirectly
by getting Python into engineering and science education.  See this talk
I gave at scipy09 for example:

  http://www.archive.org/details/scipy09_day2_16-Prabhu_Ramachandran

> There's got to be mathematicians and programmers in India who would
> love to contribute to Sage, and a Sage Days there near ICM is a great
> idea.

Absolutely. I've personally introduced a few friends at IITB to Sage who
actively use it in their research and I demo it all over the place.  We
also made a live DVD (Ubuntu 9.04 based) of a whole bunch of Python
goodies along with sage and distribute that free at workshops (we
distributed 100 at scipy09). I just haven't had the time to announce
anything here though. :(

cheers,
prabhu