Hi all,
let me share with you some thoughts.

I know that this community likes a lot the strategy "release soon,
release often"; I tend to like this as well. What I don't like,
altogether, is the chance to have once in a while a quite buggy
release on our way, which is, in my opinion, not unlikely with this
strategy.
Some examples are when big new features are introduced, like new
symbolics, new notebook, new whatever else. From one point of view,
having the current official release providing the brand new features,
is useful in term of bug tracking (they are discovered much faster).
On the other hand, if people are not intending to help and join the
community, but just try testing a piece of software, they could get
really annoyed by finding more or less trivial bugs (lots of them can
pass not caught by a very careful review!) and make very bad
advertisement.
At the end of the day, provided that the community would keep
releasing this way, why don't you also consider providing a
"Conservative" release? That should simply represent a release where
most (or the total amount) of the work is focused on fixing bugs,
regressions, and known issues, rather than providing new features. I
know this already happens once in a while, but I think that those
release are simply not valued enough! That could be released in many
ways: one every six months, one per year, also whenever it's ready can
be a very good choice.
For example, from my point of view (my knowledge is limited) 3.4.2 has
been a pretty reliable release, all the efforts were in fixing stuff
before getting the brand new 4.0. Another conservative release will
probably be the 4.2, where the new symbolic stuff is already quite
integrated and the new notebook will get a good finishing after the
feedbacks from the 4.1.2 (also the backward compatibility break of the
sws format has been restored, I think, which is good). So, the amount
of time from two very casual conservative releases has been around 6
months, which is reasonable for productive oriented environments.
In this way, first time users could be pointed to the conservative
release, and once they get hungry and wants to get their hands dirty,
they won't have problems in switching to the current release. This
would also allow people that are very interested in short term
results, to work with a fairly reliable release, rather than fearing
that something goes wrong because of a simple bug, and discovering it
just one day before the deadline (if not worse!).

I hope this will be useful to the community.

Best regards

Maurizio