On Nov 1, 2009, at 12:49 PM, John Cremona wrote:

> 2009/11/1 Simon King <simon.k...@nuigalway.ie>:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> On 1 Nov., 19:30, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Is this really becoming a thread about changing the name from Sage
>>> something quite different?  I hope not.
>>
>> Why not? Would you prefer being sued?
>
> (1) I'm old and set in  my ways
> (2) I like the name Sage -- I'm used to it, at least
> (3) I really just meant that I hoped that we would not be forced to
> change, and
> (4) I think we would prefer to spend our efforts writing code!

+1. I'd add

(5) Changing names when we're finally starting to gain name
recognition is a bad idea.

I think it's clear that there's no obvious confusion about using the
term "sage" in response to mathematical software. I'm fairly confident
not a threat to the other projects named Sage out there, and nor to we
have large coffers to attract sue-happy lawyers.

I don't see any arguments here for not going ahead and registering it,
and if/when any legal issues come up in the future we can deal with
them then (where one doesn't have to be a lawyer to realize we'd be in
a better position with an official trademark than without).

- Robert